Sunday, June 22, 2014

Feeling Blessed


I joined a group online of fellow expat wives that is very helpful. I've learned the best places to find things, recommendations for churches/restaurants/activities, events going on and even met potential friends through there. It's truly a lovely resource.
But today I feel like shouting: DON'T YOU SEE HOW BLESSED WE ARE?!?
One of the heavily discussed topics is helpers. In Singapore, it's common to have a live-in helper. Even our condo has a 'room' for the helper. I didn't take photos because it's more of a utility shower and laundry room. Most helpers in Singapore are from the Philippines or Indonesia and are diligent, conscientious women who are working to support their families back home. (<-- taken from this article) Helpers are nannies, housekeepers and chefs rolled into one.
I'll admit that this does sound very helpful and for some people it makes a lot of sense. Especially for families where both parents work as the costs seem comparable to full time childcare. I'm still trying to decide but personally I'm thinking I won't be employing a helper. I've got my own reasons and I joked with Ross that it has something to do with being raised in the west with pioneer spirit. But I certainly don't have a problem with anyone who hires a helper. To hire or not to hire is not the question.
It occurred to me this morning, while reading through the debate on both sides, just how truly blessed I am to even be able to consider this option. What a blessing that my husband found employment that allows us the opportunity; that we don't have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet; that I don't have to leave my children each day to live with and take care of a family other than my own. I'm feeling a bit humbled and very much grateful.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting both how that it is common there and as an alternative to child care sounds very interesting. I am with you though, mostly grateful that I am blessed not to have to figure it out, and can be home with my kiddos. Glad you are finding the connections and resources to make life work well for you!

    ReplyDelete