Saturday, May 31, 2014

People

There are so many people here. I love to people-watch and this place is amazing for that! Today we wandered around Ion Orchard and Wheelock, with the kids in the morning and then by myself in the afternoon. (Much better without the kids, thank you hubby!) Here are some 'field notes' from my outings today.
~ Walking through the shopping places on a Saturday, especially by the MRT (subway) exchanges, is insane! There are sooooo many people. It's a sea of faces. Thankfully, everyone is about the same height as me here; I feel like I can swim along instead of drowning.
~ Kids zip around on scooters if they aren't being pushed in a stroller. Cade now has a scooter.
~ Lifts (elevators) are very much like cans of sardines. Smaller sized cans of sardines. And of course the person at the very back is the one that needs to get off next. Today an elderly man didn't want to get into the lift with a group of people. A younger man made a comment that it was odd and perhaps the man was self-conscious. To which I commented something to the effect of "Singapore is the wrong place to have claustrophobia." According to the young man, Hong Kong and Japan are much worse. True but it's sure a heck of a lot more crowded here than it was in Illinois or Oregon.
~ I'm pretty sure that was not a girl in the tall bright red high heels and skirt walking down the street. I cannot confirm this suspicion though. She did go into the Orchard Towers.
~ There is an IISS Summit being held at the adjoining hotel this weekend. Every type of uniform, rank and high level person is in that lobby. Too bad I had to look like I knew where I was going instead of just looking around at all the dignitaries.
~ I'm starting to see the tourists among us. I'm not sure if I count as a tourist or an ex-pat. But I noticed the cameras, pointing and selfie-takers a lot more today.
~ I saw people holding hands! I thought PDA was strictly prohibited here so I was pleasantly surprised and a bit relieved.
~ The shopping centers, specifically the Ion, have aromatherapy piped through the air conditioning. It's fairly subtle but quite lovely.
~ A group of people are having a surprise party across the hall from our apartment. While I was feeding the baby tonight I heard "Happy birthday!" followed by singing. It's tempting to go join in. I think I'll just call it a night instead.

1 comment: