Friday, May 2, 2014

Why Singapore? A little backstory.

Why not?
I guess the better question is: How did you come up with Singapore as the next chapter of your life?
Like all stories married people tell, my version is probably different than what my hubby would write. Well, this is my blog so *sticks tongue out*, it's my version of the story. Maybe I can talk him into guest writing some time. Anyhoo, we moved to Klamath Falls, Oregon in 2005 . . . I'll wait while you look it up on the map . . . when Ross got out of the military and took a job at Boeing. The job was awesome (on paper) and we may have ignored some sage advice to perhaps reconsider the location (Oregon is Oregon, right?). We moved, we bought a house, we got a dog, Ross got college degrees, I participated in community theater, we got our pilot's licenses, we had two kids, all these great things. And then we seemed stuck. There wasn't much career potential for either of us; I'd been laid off twice due to the downturn of the economy. We just knew it wasn't where we wanted to be and we were ready for the next chapter. I felt drawn to Portland (keep Portland weird!) but it never seemed to work out. So we were searching for something.
One day I'm at BLOOM (the local moms' group--awesome group, love those gals) and my friend Anna taught us about Creative Prayer. This concept blew my mind! I could use my creative tendencies to build a better closer relationship with God? I was sold. I started combining some of her tips with my desire to journal more. Oooh, maybe I'll have a blog entry about Creative Prayer Journaling. It's life changing. But I digress. So I start doing that and I start praying for God to provide direction and strength for us, for my hubby, everything. I felt lost I'll admit. But I had Faith.
Then Ross comes home and this is the conversation, as I remember it . . .
  Ross: I found this job I'd like and I'm pretty qualified for.
  Cherry: Ok, apply for it.
  R: Well, there's a catch.
  C: Ok . . .
  R: It's in Singapore.
  C: Ok, apply for it.
I didn't even flinch, which I think made him nervous. Ross already knows this so it's ok to share: he'd applied for several other jobs and nothing had come of those. Heck, I had interviewed for other jobs and nothing came of those either. So I didn't really know if this would materialize and figured I could cross that bridge later.
Then the job closed.
Then he got bumped to being considered instead of insta-rejected. (Way to go hubby!!)
Then he got a phone interview. (Annnnddd I looked up Singapore. Where?!)
Then the phone interview was long and seemed to go well. (All good, I found another expat's blog and I learned they speak English, I can handle this.)
Then we waited. And waited. And waited. (It seemed like forever but each step was only about a week.)
Then he got an email that led us to believe he was still being considered.
Then he got the job offer. (All the while I was using my creative prayer journal and trying to "pray about it more than I talked about it.")
Then he accepted the job. And we told our friends who went, "WHAT?!?!"
Long story short, thanks to God (and that's the only explanation I have for why everything worked out so well), we sold our house, sold most of our belongings (who needs furniture?), packed up the uhaul and headed East.
So now I'm living with my husband's parents in their basement with our two kids while he does training three hours away until we pack our bags and get on a very long plane ride.


4 comments:

  1. Just as I remembered .... So cool! God is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog!!! Although I already knew all of it as you told me it feels like great story from one of my favorite books. Oh yeah you are one of my favorite books... love you Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story! Thanks for sharing it, even though I've heard pieces of it. Your blog is beautiful written and I LOVE the background colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are awsome! I admire your spunk for life and adventures. Congrats and good luck on your newest adventures. Keep in touch.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete